Winter is over and now summer is fast approaching. It is now time for kids to play outside and enjoy the outdoors. However, it would be more significant if kids can experience camping outdoors so that they can have fun with nature and bond with other kids, friends and classmates. In essence, summer camps always bring about educational experience for kids because the outdoors offers so many different kinds of discoveries. Kids can be able to realize all the things that are worth knowing even these are outside their homes and schools. They can be able to feel the value of survival, experience camaraderie and teamwork. So how to organize a summer camp for kids can be one of your agenda if you want your kids and other kids to enjoy their summer vacation.
On the other hand, you must remember that kids unlike adults are more prone to stress but have unstoppable energy that is why they must be guided accordingly when they are in their camps. This is why organizing a safe but fun camping must be properly thought about. Here are some tips that could help you along in coming up with a nice summer camp for kids.
Advice on How to Organize a Summer Camp for Kids
- Find sponsors: If you are organizing a large group and want to indulge kids with various activities like sports and contests and you want to give away prizes to make the event more memorable, you must find sponsors to help you out with the expenses. However, have a clean budget plan before starting to solicit sponsorship from different organizations. Draft your goal so that your potential sponsors will see that your goal has a good cause. If organizing a summer camp is for the school children, the school’s alumni can be asked to provide financial assistance.
- Check legal issues of all participants: If you already have sure potential sponsors, check for the required legal issues such as parent’s waiver and insurance for all the kids including you and your assistants. You can consult a lawyer about this because as an organizer, you are most liable for each and every camper including the staff or teachers who will want to attend the camping.
- Find the best location for the summer camp: Don’t think about going to remote areas because your companions are the kids. You can consider nearby national parks, forest reserves or city-owned parks if ever the management will let you camp for free. If there are no parks available, there can be the community centers, farmsteads or even schools that don’t have summer classes. These may not be part of the outside world but you can at least make the children develop their sense of teamwork, independence and comradeship with camping.
- Body enhancement and enjoyable activities: Think about the activities that anyone can enjoy and include activities that will enhance the physical, mental and logical skills of the kids like sports or discovering things around. There could be the study of flora and fauna around the camp, photography or just plan nature tripping.
- Find people that can assist you: These can be young volunteers that have knowledge about supervising kids’ summer camps. Teenagers or college students are ideal assistants because just like the kids, they also have lively dispositions and can get along well with the kids. If there would be no volunteers, you must at least hire camp workers to make sure everyone and everything goes well within the camp.
- Gather many kids: To enable many kids to participate, take your time in advertising your summer camp. You can create flyers, posters or advertise the activity in a local radio station and invite parents to include their children with the activity. You can also use the technology like the web, radio or local newspaper just to reach many people.
- Make your registration form easy to access: You can upload a registration form online through a Facebook account or through the camp’s website. You can also borrow a small office where people can personally get registration forms and file completed forms directly.
- Inform parents and participants: Inform parents and participants about the requirements needed for the camping and don’t forget to tell people the exact date. If possible, you can broadcast about the number of kids that have already registered. This is to tell everybody the remaining slots. Remember that you must have a limit on the number of kids attendees because you literally cannot handle hundreds of campers even you will be personally assisting the camp activities. Around 150 to 200 kids are manageable if you have reliable staff with you. More than this, it would be hard for you to monitor each and every kid. You can group the kids once they are in the camp.
- Advertise actively: You can post your posters inside daycares, parks, schools, community message boards or websites. You can also ask the help of your local radio station in the campaign and you must also have a ready landline phone if someone needs to inquire about your coming summer camp.
How to organize a summer camp for kids must take a lot of considerations on your part because you would not want anything bad to happen to even just one kid. Your goal is to make kids enjoy the experience. To let them be with other kids and do various fun activities so that they can learn the significance of teamwork. You want them to stay in the outside world for a while to let them know that the world needs someone like them to rely on. As an organizer, probably your greatest satisfaction will come from seeing kids enjoy the camping experience and see them learning from it.